What is a Lactation Counselor?
Lactation counselors are professional breastfeeding specialists trained to teach mothers how to feed their baby. They help women experiencing breastfeeding problems, such as latching difficulties, painful nursing and low milk production.
The Certified Lactation Counselor®, (CLC) certification is the premier National Certification in Lactation Management for the United States. CLC certification holders have demonstrated competence in the lactation skills, knowledge and attitudes that are essential to helping women in the United States and have agreed to comply with The Academy of Lactation Policy and Practice code of ethics.
CLC certification means that a person has received training and competency verification in breastfeeding and human lactation support including assessing the latching and feeding process, providing corrective interventions, counseling mothers, understanding and applying knowledge of milk production including in special circumstances and other commonly encountered situations. All of this give CLCs a strong foundation with which to help moms and babies.
I provide breastfeeding counseling and lactation management catered to a mother’s goals and values. I assist with assessing latching and feeding process, providing corrective interventions, counseling mothers and their families.
What is a Lactation Educator?
Certified Lactation Educator (CLE) – CLE programs are provided by various private companies and organizations. They have variable standards. CLEs are qualified to teach families about preparing for their infant, how lactation works physiologically, common challenges to expect, and other general lactation support.
- Offer non-biased focused information, support, encouragement, guidance, referrals, and education to their communities, which includes families and professionals
- Provide culturally sensitive and adult based education
- Refer to healthcare professionals when support requires clinical assessment, need for prescription, or medical diagnosis
- Help families understand their rights according to current healthcare policy and legal statues
- Advise parents on how to maintain lactation when they are separated from their infant, which includes information on hand expression and the usage of breast pumps
- Offer continual support for families during the weaning process and beyond as it pertains to breastfeeding
- Educate, support and offer referrals to mothers who need to supplement or find that breastfeeding must be halted due to medical and/or personal reasons
In-person or virtual, consultations: ($95/hr)
Discussing your pregnancy, birth and medical history
Observing a nursing session
Weighing baby before and after a feed
Addressing any questions or concerns
Making a plan for completing your breastfeeding goals
Phone support post consultation as needed
You May schedule your 1 hrs Breastfeeding consultation today! We accept insurances as well ask about this option.
1 hour Consultation
Subscribe to get access
Read more of this content when you subscribe today.